We had a huge feast a few Sundays ago after visiting the local farmers market and butcher. We came home with fresh vegetables, local goats feta and an amazing rack of lamb. We cooked up the lamb and made roast vegetables, with a roast beetroot, rocket and goat's feta salad to start with. It was divine. (I'll post about the main event a little later on.)
- Preheat oven to 165°C fan forced (185°C normal).
- To make the caramel, put 75 gm caster sugar and the warm water in a small pot and gently cook until golden, swirling every now and then. DON’T STIR! (If you are a caramel lover, double the quantities.)
|Making the creme mixture with the Sunbeam Mixmaster|
- Put the milk and vanilla in another pot and gently bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs with the remaining caster sugar in a large bowl with an electric beater until pale and thick. Then pour in the boiling milk, continually mixing, and strain well, removing any foam.
- Place 4 dariole moulds (or ramekins) in a baking tray and divide the caramel between each one. Then top with the custard and pour boiling water into the tray to come up about halfway. Cook in the oven for about 30-40 mins until just set. Cool and refrigerate.
- When ready, turn out the crème caramels onto individual plates and serve with a dollop of cream on the side.